Small Business Ideas
grow your own niche market business

a wish is not enough

A dream is like a crow bar, some use it to open things - others drop it on their toes.

helping you develop your niche market business ideas


Thursday, January 05, 2006

Narnia and C.S. Lewis win the battle, objection filed, rematch scheduled

.

The battle of Narnia seeking to escape the relativistic Disney mindset is over. - Narnia only slightly wounded.


{{Possible spoiler included below.}}

I finally saw Narnia, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Narnia is a beautiful movie.

Don't expect a standard movie review. I am like Susan and Disney - I carry my belief system with me. It is difficult to arbitrarily suspend belief or disbelief.

I have written about the Hollywood mindset before, - Disney is included in that analysis.

That is the first of two reasons I had delayed seeing the movie.

The other reason was Disney's and Hollywood's habit of me-too-ism. Disney had Modified Lord of The Rings (LOTR) when they had a shot at it, made the three books one movie, and then declined. At the time it reminded me of when Disney passed on
Star Wars, and then made The Black Hole to show they could do it themselves - and failed.

I didn't want to see Narnia and discover Disney had combined the shallow Hollywood magic of
The Black Hole with an entertaining, circle of life style Lion King, as a response to LOTR.

Narnia as a set of books has been read by myself and all of my kids. Narnia, The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe as an animated feature was a favorite of theirs as they were growing up. It was watched frequently by one of my daughters in particular. I did not want to see a trite representation of what we had loved.

It turns out I didn't have to avoid the Narnia movie.

Narnia was well done with excellent special effects. The special effects were of the sort that in ten years we will say "they were really good for back then."

The special effects
are really good for today.

There were elements that were changed from the book. I can see how Disney could argue they were for narrative effect. These deviations presented only small problems to the story. In the movie Santa gave the gifts to the kids, not Aslan.

That does lead to a glitch that appeared at the end, that will not be noticed by a TV trained audience, and that seems logical to the relativistic morals of Disney.

Edward is shown to be redeemed not by having grown in moral awareness; but by his using an unnecessary white lie to protect a friend rather than a big lie to benefit himself.

The scene is reminiscent of TV shows where the protagonist gets in trouble because of a lie. After
30 minutes and some complications they then make everything good by telling another lie.

That is pure Hollywood and pure Disney - it is just how they think.

In Hollywood an ignoble lie is normal - therefore at Disney a selfless lie somehow makes you noble.

They are far removed from a life where yea means yea.

The next movie will be the rematch.

C.S. Lewis believed in absolutes, and understood mores.

Disney and Hollywood, like Shakespeare's barbarian, only understand themselves.


I may wait to see the sequel also.


Allan.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

money making online business ideas